[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Wed Jul 31 15:48:20 CEST 2002

Jack Britt wrote:
> "Ammon Lauritzen" <ammon at rincewind.simud.org> wrote:

>> I'm trying to find alternatives to the AD&D-style of hit points
>> but I'm not having much luck. Couldn't find anything on google,
>> and can't seem to come up with anything on the mud-dev archives
>> (although this is probably due to my inability to do a decent
>> search.)

> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or concepts for a
> different way of doing hit points?

> Apart from storing health in some sort of number or set of
> numbers?  I don't think there is any other way that could be
> implemented in a computer game.

The biggest variant to HP that I've seen I think was original Harn
Lore paper-RPG system.

In that game, if I recall it right, you could get minor wounds,
serious wounds, and deadly wounds. Too many of each category would
create a wound in the next category. As you advanced in skills or
wore armor, you could avoid some of those wounds. Maybe someone with
a copy of Harn Lore can give more details?

We do something like that in Marrach, where when Dueling with
non-practice weapons you'll receive either a minor or serious
wound. If you do not get it treated (which takes a week) and try
duel again (say in the case of a duel to the death, or a foolish
duelist) and loose you can have a grave injury, or die.

-- Christopher Allen