[MUD-Dev] java clients

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Jul 31 15:05:48 CEST 2002

From: "Zach Collins (Siege)" <zcollins at seidata.com>
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> expanding a java client they have for more general use, but ran
>> into a lot of problems with Java, and man was he right. We have
>> been unable, for instance, to enable any sort of copying from the
>> output window into a clipboard, and are also unable to log
>> anything to the player's computer. This inability alone basically
>> renders Java unsuitable for a full-featured text MUD client. (And

Um, sounds like you're using an applet, which unfortunately most
browsers are still using Java 1.0 and the AWT... even so, the
problems you're running into are clearly security issues, you'd have
to sign your applet in order to allow them to handle those tasks.
Standard java supports those features.

Running a java client from the command line doesn't have any of
these restrictions.  Take a look into java signing utilities.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom