[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

shren shren at io.com
Wed Jul 31 06:03:42 CEST 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

>> You couldn't get good at CS quickly...so you quit.  To most
>> pk-types I know, that's kinda funny. *shrug* We don't really care
>> whether you play or not, except that you're missing out on a
>> great game once you achieve a certain level of play...regardless
>> of the arena.  I could state that 'Go' is hard, too.  It's an
>> immensely challenging game that you never really can master.  But
>> once you get a feel for it, it's great.

> In Go and Chess and other games like that, you usually aren't
> playing against other masters, but when you play CS or PK in many
> games, you end up stuck against people with FAR more experience
> than you. If you had to play a Master every time you started
> playing chess, I bet it'd become unentertaining. Challenge is
> good. Feeling as if you are screwed from the start is not fun.

Warcraft III claims to match people to your skill level when you
play online.  There are both good reviews and bad reviews of the
system.  The first time I played, though, it seemed to put me up
against other newbies.  Hardly fair, as I had read a lot of
strategy.  Unfortunately, I had to drop, but when I did my Tauren
warchief was pounding one of my enemy's town to pieces.

--
We in the USA have plenty of freedom.
We import it from everywhere.