[MUD-Dev] Re: Are gratifiction-based (online) societies doomed to being immature?

Jay C. mako at slicerhq.com
Fri Jul 12 03:01:36 CEST 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
"Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:

> A nice post and subsequent thread by folks on the Star Wars
> Galaxies boards.  I'll include some of the postings here, but I
> urge people to read the full thread because

>   a) it shows that players aren't clueless :)

>   b) it's a collectively revealing analysis of playstyles

> http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/062581.html

An excellent read for anyone. I'd have to agree that out of the few
"Flopped" online communities I've been in, 99.99% of the reason it
flopped was due to the maturity level of people.

Singularity's quote "Next instead of with each other" perfectly
portrays the average member's mentality. They see Johnny doing it,
why can't they? This only leads to more of the problem IMO.

Yes every community has it's thorns, and it can't be
avoided. However, agreeing or giving in to everyone won't cut
it. People will see that, and simply "Join In the fun" which may
result in some bad things. I tend to think as Star Wars Galaxies as
the next "Stepping Stone" for the "Close Knitted Image" of player
communities. Not only as a long-time member, but an inspiring
artist, this community is what really keeps me going. And I feel it
will never lose it's edge, just from the fact that Star Wars in it's
own draws such a diverse crowd.