[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights (Was: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?)

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Fri Jul 12 00:30:23 CEST 2002

From: "Maximus" <Maximus at Vaultnetwork.com>
> At 10:42 AM 7/9/02 +0200, you wrote:
>> From: "Dave Trump" <trump at trumps.net>
>>> At 10:48 AM 7/6/02 +0200, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

>> At the moment the best solution seems to be to dump variables to
>> the log and parse them back and create an include script to
>> attach to your module when restarting.

> One of our readers has created something very similar to this type
> of setup and it's at version 1.3 currently. It's titled the PW
> Unviersal Mind system

I could not stop from checking it out. Actually I've already checked
those scripts some days ago. It's a nice solution but it's got two
drawbacks:

1) You need to edit the world withing the toolset before you can
restart the server. Even if it's only due to a crash and you've
added no new content.  2) The parser's been written in Delphi and is
available for Win32 only. No Linux version (even if there's Kylix
that can compile Delphi sources for Linux, but I doubt a unix
sysadmin would use a non-console application to run a server).

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli
tanis at mediacom.it