[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Wed Feb 6 22:31:36 CET 2002

<EdNote: Let's wind this thread down>

From: <Skaei at aol.com>

> While I could probably agree that the actual momentum from a
> bullet probably would not be enough to knock down a person if
> looked at as the only single event occurring when being shot, I
> would offer up that there is more happening to the body other than
> just receiving impact.  I lean towards that it is the other
> damaging events occurring and the mind's ability to receive the
> body's messages about those other events that lead to a person
> falling down when shot.  Any thoughts from others on this?

Put your hand on a hot stove accidentally. You pull it away before
you register the pain. This is a reflex arc of 3 neurons [1 sensory,
1 interneuron, 1 motor]. You can consciously prevent this reflex by
isometrically activating all your arm muscles [tensing them all
against each other] so that the reflex is lost in the pre-existing
tension. A lot of balance is based on reflexes you are not conscious
of [albeit not in 3 neurons like this, much of it is cerebellar
activity].

As for the body's messages, being hit by a high velocity bullet may
be something you don't even notice. That may be due to shock. Again,
it's not likely to be conscious.

Now on to others about the person being psychosomatic:

Since your conscious awareness seems to lag about 350 ms, should be
possible to measure this, or measure the timing of the fall.

A person pretending to fall doesn't fall the way someone who really
loses balance does. That's why stuntpeople need to learn how to
fall, so it looks realistic.

Anyways, enough rambling of various facts on this topic.

    rayzam