"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 22:27:03 CET 2002

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 11:18, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Well, if you can roleplay by being yourself, doesn't that kind of
> make the term lose meaning? It means that we are all roleplaying
> 24 hours a day. I'm not going to argue that's not true, as we all
> play roles (husband, girlfriend, boss, employee, etc) but I'm not
> sure whether that's what people mean when they talk about
> roleplaying in games.

Depends on the person.  :-) There's an old article in Dragon from
way back, "The Vicarious Participator", which is all about the idea
of playing yourself in a fantasy world rather than playing a made-up
character.

And *literally* roleplaying yourself can also be fun.  Long ago, I
ran a horror game where the players played themselves in the
setting.  And also, the superhero game Villains & Vigilantes was
originally based around the idea of playing yourself as a superhero
-- what would you do if you got super powers?

> Regardless though, I still feel the same way, as I don't want to
> get to know my boss (assuming I had one). I want to get to know
> Bill, the guy who is playing the boss, if you see what I mean.

Sure, I do too.  But you can do this on multiple levels -- you get
to know Bill, while your character gets to know Bill's character.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>