[MUD-Dev] The changing nature of fun

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Tue Dec 24 11:34:29 CET 2002

[Brian Hook]

> Same with travel.  The first time I had to go from Qeynos to
> Freeport, if I had been offered a portal I would have taken it in
> a heartbeat.  But instead I had to hoof it at 10th level, in
> constant fear of my life.  Fantastic experience, and one of my
> favorite gaming experiences ever.

I second that. My run was from Freeport to Qeynos as a terrified 7th
level High-Elf Wizard. The beauty of the Karanas at sunset with Hill
Giants silhouetted in the distance was breathtaking. Quite a change
of scenery from my native region of Faydark.

> I guess my point is that even with things that "obviously" suck,
> they often don't suck.  Downtime sucks, yet it's valuable for
> building social frameworks.  CR sucks, but 1% of the time it's
> cool and fun.  Travel sucks, but the experience often doesn't (and
> it's a good chance to socialize as well and see stuff you may not
> have seen before).  etc.  etc.

Moral of the story?  "Balance is hard."  ;)

-Marc