Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Tue Dec 24 11:21:55 CET 2002

[Mike Shaver]

> If your characters do things while they're offline, and SWGs very
> much will from everything I've read, then there's more to
> per-character overhead than just the disk space or even database
> space.  Every character is another blip in the event loop for
> resource gathering, updating of player-association stats,
> craft-item production and associated PA inventory updates,
> horoscopes, exit-polling, whatever.

Offline crafting needn't take any additional resources beyond
disk/database space.

An offline, crafting character wouldn't be included in the event
loop.  However, when the character next goes online, part of the
progress: X number of hours offline, Y rate of failure, Z rate of
skill increase, N quantity of resources, etc.

Fast and easy.

-Marc