[MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (was Complexities of MMOG Servers)

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:45:11 CET 2002

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

>> Disagreed.  The distinction is commercially-owned versus
>> hobbyist-managed efforts.  Any other interpretation could not,
>> for example, distinguish a vintage Corvette Collectors club from
>> Chevrolet.

> Other than the fact that Chevrolet manufactures them and the club
> doesn't.  :P

Much aftermarket are the hobbyists themselves.  Ok let's walk the
analogy.

The venue that hosts the shows has nothing to do with Chevrolet.
The renovations likewise.  The chops, the non-standard
accessories... nothing to do with Chevrolet.  None of the lessons
learned were taught by Chevrolet.  Help rebuilding the carb for the
69 Stingray was not provided by Chevrolet customer service.

Chevrolet manufactured the car, sold it at a profit, and moved on.
And in the process learned the value of brand loyalty by permitting
if not encouraging hobbyists to be self-sufficient.  Learned to
leverage dealers on the street to promote interesting hobbyist
activities.

We don't see this in the Central MOG industry today.  Developers
bemoan the absence of brand loyalty even as they incorporate
enforced mechanics, restrictive policies, and dumbed down designs.
Central MOGs seem more like the Chrysler K Cars of the early 1980s.
Coercion over incentive.

Maybe the Indies will play the part of the Japanese auto makers.

> The sole currently successful, commercial provider. To say
> otherwise ignores dozens of mud codebases, stuff like The MMORPG
> Construction Kit (which is commercial), RunUO, and so on.

Than by all means include them in the category and let them have
recognition.  I'd love to see an industry rag trumpet the virtues of
RunUO... ;-)

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"