Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Tue Dec 17 22:35:27 CET 2002

From: Travis Nixon

> Which is why it's really hard for me not to feel insulted when
> reading that as one of the primary reasons for only allowing one
> character per server.  In fact, the bit that I did read seemed to
> be trying to lead people into believeing that the "cost" of
> storage space is the most important reason.

Storage space was not an issue for some games, but it was, in fact
an issue for Ultima Online.  Remember, 'storage' refers not just to
a character's stats, but also his 'footprint' -- all of the items in
his inventory (and all of their stats), his house, all the stuff in
his house, etc.  Now take all that and make a whole lot of redundant
backups.  Storage space can take up a lot of hard drive space when
players are building pianos out of 2000 different colored spoons.

In UO, 'storage' was not just expensive cash-wise, but it also
affected service.  You know how servers once took a couple of hours
to reboot?  That was the server getting the world state loaded up.

Granted, that team is a lot wiser now, and they have the advantage
of having done it before.  But while hard drive space may be cheap,
storage still has a cost which must be accounted for.

--d