[MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (was Complexities of MMOG Servers)

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 05:49:38 CET 2002

"Wes Connell" <wconnell at kanga.nu> wrote:
> Christopher Kohnert wrote:

>> Out of curiosity, what is the general consensus on the minimum
>> requirements to get that lovely double-M? Is there one?

> Interesting question... I'm also curious as to when/if the
> additional M stops becoming 'massive' and becomes something
> larger.

The next larger step is when Massive qualifies also to mean Serial
as well as the current;y implicit definition of Central.

The great majority of potential customers don't want to manage their
own game world.  But quite a few do.  And all customers suffer some
degree of burnout leading to abrupt exit from the revenue stream.

A product that allows customers to continually and successfully
retest the product to varying standards has a much higher retention
factor.  And a product that permits players to move seamlessly from
commercial PW, to player PW to player PW has a high restest quotion.
It's a way of weaning the customer down residual revenue streams
rather than forcing a cold turkey departure.

Serially Massive MOG.  NWN is to this coming business model as
Gemstone3 was to today's graphical MUDs.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"