[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

bradley newton haug brad at faithanddisease.com
Fri Dec 13 14:47:38 CET 2002

Amanda Wrote:

> The disk/RAM tradeoff is at a very different point than it was
> even a year or so ago.  One of the servers in my basement can hold
> 8GB of RAM.  Modern servers can hold quite a bit more, and it's
> darned affordable these days.  It is entirely reasonable, if your
> data set is of such a size, to throw it all into RAM and treat
> your disk as a checkpoint/backup medium.  As long as you stage
> your writes to disk so that you can recover to a consistent state
> when you restart from a checkpoint, life is good.

I agree, my little rant about DB/flat files was just because of the
whole 'flatfile speed myth', I don't use db's to maintain state,
just fire it up, save it and do sanity checks.  I recommend trading
memory for speed every chance you get, which is the opposite of some
old school algorithms.  I even have hashtables with
calculation/result lookups that I load at startup, to save a few
cycles in exchange for memory/slower startup.

regards
-brad