[MUD-Dev] Pay for Item MMOG : Entropia article on Slashdot

Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Thu Dec 12 19:43:23 CET 2002

bradley newton haug wrote:

> Your stick wielding tiger woods analogy is false, offered as
> proof, I give you the BMW Driving analogy, I am faster than a guy
> that drives a pinto, I paid for that. I do not believe in buying
> objects in game with real money.  That isn't from a business or
> programming standpoint; it is from a player standpoint.

I don't like the concept of getting beat in a drag race just because
my opponent can afford a BMW and all I can afford is a crappy VW Bug
that barely runs.

Too bad so sad for me.

Even though I'm a much better driver from years of drag racing as a
teenager, should I stop drag racing because I can't win?

> I don't like the concept of playing in a game where I get ganked
> because some 16 year old's dad bought him the glorious sword of
> woopass.  There are ways to do this right (Achea) and ways to use
> it to suck the life out of people, and make the industry worse for
> us all.  Entropia tries to rationalize a constant money flow by
> introducing us to the brilliant new concept of decay and upkeep
> and false achievement.  I already play that game, it's called
> Life.

I don't see how it can make the industry worse... other than taking
away money that may have gone to your game.

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu