[MUD-Dev] Social Networks

Nicolai Hansen nic at aub.dk
Wed Aug 21 10:18:34 CEST 2002

Sasha Hart:

> I think the goal is to facilitate friendships, not to suppress
> independence per se (the two are not mutually exclusive.)

I think players in general want to push their limits. By soloing
(testing your own playing skills), duoing (cooporation), doing
triads (filling out a specified role), or leading larger groups of
players (that charismatic something that makes 20 people listen to
you).  I don't think any of this can be denied without seriously
making your game suffer.

IMO it doesn't damage a social network that a player is able to
solo, but it _will_ damage a social network if people are forced to
group together (just think of school).

/Nic