[MUD-Dev] Advertising Thread

Brad McQuaid bmcquaid at cox.net
Wed Aug 21 08:26:06 CEST 2002

Russ Whiteman said:

> Again, I'd call anything and everything that is designed to get
> the product into the public eye, marketing.  It doesn't -require-
> magazine ads, TV commercials, or launch parties...although those
> -do- tend to be the result of hiring professionals to run the
> show. Non-professionals, especially -passionate- non-professionals
> -can- do an effective job with the lower cost alternatives...I
> think your case proves that.

Actually, that was exactly the point I was trying to make :) I think
we're in agreement: EQ showed that one doesn't necessarily need
higher-cost 'professional' marketing to get the word out and sell
MMOGs.  Or at least one didn't in 1997-1998, when most of the 'grass
roots' PR was occurring.  Perhaps one could argue effectively now
that times/conditions have changed...?

Again, however, I want to state clearly that by no means am I
against professional marketing -- in fact, if we're to get the word
out to people about MMOGs who aren't necessarily looking for them
(browsing web sites, message boards, chat rooms, or already playing
an MMOG), we're going to need it big time :)