[MUD-Dev] Non-traditional monsters?

szii at sziisoft.com szii at sziisoft.com
Fri Aug 2 13:42:12 CEST 2002

From: "Jack Britt" <mud at experimentzero.org>

> One thing that I want to do is to have non-traditional monsters
> for our game. While orcs, goblins and dragons will definitely be
> featured, I'd like to pull things from other cultures. If I have
> an area of my MUD that has a Polynesian theme, I'd like to
> incorporate things from Pacific Islander mythology in it.

> Does anyone have some leads on where I can find such things?

Hmmm...

First off, just hit the internet a lot.  If you can afford it, a
trip the the Cultural Center in Hawaii is a baseline starting point.
It's not an archive (read: tourist spot) but it's got some info.
Local libraries have good information, though antiquated at times.
=P

There are a lot of variations in Polynesian culture simply because
most of the islands didn't communicate with each other.  French
Polynesia will have different idology than, say, Micronesian.  Guam
didn't talk to Chuuk (old Truk.)  Saipian, Figi, and Majuro didn't
really have any way of communicating across the vast Pacific, ya
know?

The nice thing, however, is that most of the major tourist spots
have Chambers of Commerce-style outlets.  Since a big part of the
tourism trade in that area is based on the local cultures they
market that.  A couple phone calls/emails/letters may net you some
pamphlets or book references for local history/religion/old
theology.

I don't know of any "compiled" history archives, though I've not
looked online.

HTH.

-Mike