[MUD-Dev] java clients

David Love dlove at nighton.net
Fri Aug 2 11:18:53 CEST 2002

Jo Dillon wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2002 at 12:45, Colin Coghill wrote:

>> Mac users, Linux users, people with old slow computers, people
>> using PDA's, people who are worried about security, and so on.

> Err, have you tried using a JVM on an old slow computer or a PDA?
> I have ;) That's precisely where you want to be using C++. See my
> other post on Qt...

I think the key thing here is portability.  At what level do you
want to be portable?  If it's important that people running on
various platforms all download the same client, then Java would be a
good choice.  If you simply want libraries that are cross-platform
(source portable), things like Qt, gtk+, sdl, etc. all allow you to
build the same code for multiple different platforms.  You'll then
have a slew of binaries for download, but binaries that all do the
same thing.

If you don't want the users to download anything, then you can use
something like a Java applet, a home rolled web app (using dhtml and
such, maybe even flash), or good old telnet :)

-D.Love