[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Sean Kelly sean at hoth.ffwd.cx
Fri Aug 2 10:12:19 CEST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Sean Kelly wrote:

>> Actually, Go has a ranking and handicap system that allows even a
>> novice player to challenge a master and keep things fairly even.
>> I imagine something similar could be done for RTS games to keep
>> things even as well.

> Yeah, I know, but it's not the same to me at least. Knowing that
> I'm being treated like a retarded stepchild just to have a chance
> of competing against someone else isn't at all fun. It's even less
> fun than being beaten over and over with even resources, because
> winning just feels cheap and empty, and losing is even worse. =)

Another obvious benifit of ranking is that there's no handicap
either way when fighting a player of even rank.  Personally, I'd
like a ranking/handicap system.  It would allow me to challenge a
more skilled player on more even footing and give me an opportunity
to learn from someone who's better at the game than I am.  At the
same time, the more skilled players aren't as turned off to such
matches because the game remains challenging, regardless of
opponent.

Why call it an empty victory because the weaker player was given
more resources or a more defensible position than the stronger
player?  The idea is to provide an even match, not coddle the
newbies.

Sean