[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:56:29 CEST 2002

--On Wednesday, April 10, 2002 11:49 PM -0400 Travis Casey
<efindel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 April 2002 12:22, Matt Mihaly wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Kylotan wrote:

>>> Just to throw in another angle into this debate... perhaps the
>>> player's -character- has ownership of in-game items, but the
>>> player does not. Ownership is not transitive, as the players do
>>> not own the character as such. [1] Characters are entitled and
>>> encouraged to trade items. Players are, of course, necessary to
>>> facilitate the process. But players themselves could be
>>> forbidden (by game rules and/or EULA, whatever) to arrange for
>>> the trade of goods directly.

>> Ownership is a legal concept, and property cannot own other
>> property. Characters can't own anything, because they have no
>> legal standing to do so.

> Hmm... a corporation is property, but it can own things.

Not that I agree with the analogy, but just for the sake of legal
clarification, a corporation is an "artificial creation of the law
existing as a voluntary chartered association of individuals that
has most of the rights and duties of natural persons but with
perpetual existence and limited liability". Succinctly, a group
having the capacity of transacting business as an individual, but
without liability divested on the members of the group (the legal
term is "limited succession").

It means if your company tanks and the shareholders come for the
carcass, they can't come to your house and take your PS2. =)

  - Marc, why yes, of course I have a legal dictionary. There's a
  MUD admin who *doesn't*?