[MUD-Dev] Dilemmas in a (game) designer's life ?

Marc Demesel marcdemesel at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:26:25 CEST 2002

Here's my dilemma,

On one side I want to finish my gamedesign and have a finished
product as soon as possible because this would give me confidence
that I'm on a good path. That I can do it.

On the other side I look for new information all the time because
I'm convinced that knowledge is sacred and is the path to success,
on the level of gamedesigner as well as on the level of life in
general. Hence I want to make a successful game, have a successful
life.

Having these two behaviours at the same time is my weakness. My last
project failed. I grabbed to new information, learned a lot but
failed. At the end I did not have the product. I underestimated the
project and overestimated myself.

On the same time I believe that having these two behaviours is my
strongness too. It seems to me that good designers are knowledge
gatherers and often have troubles with deadlines.(Stanley Kubrick)

I most be convinced of the goodness of both behaviours, pushing
myself to have something concrete but at the same time looking for
new information all the time and not setting a deadline yet but it's
a conflict. They fight against eachother all the time!

Some part of myself says to me that I desperately need all this
information and looking for it and taking in through is rich and
worth doing, even more I believe it's a condition to succeed. But at
the same time I have this fear of not finishing the product yet
again!

Is this recognizable to anyone?