[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited - Value Of Time

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Apr 10 00:10:20 CEST 2002

Dave Hochstaetter said:

> Exploring item sale further, one needs to look at the in game
> creation mechanics for each item and determine, what is required
> to acquire the item. Then equate that with the/a TIME variable.

If you could actually do that in any kind of rigorous way, suitable
for a lawyer, a court, and an accounting department, it would be a
tacit admission that all your game does is waste people's time.
Here, let me bore you for exactly X minutes before handing you a
reward.  I'm not criticizing this notion in terms of finance or
legalese, I'm criticizing it as a game design.  I say this thinking
is DOA.  If you cannot create mystery, tension, and suspense as to
when items are acquired, then you might as well contract players to
clean up garbage.

20% of the world is real.