[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Fri Sep 28 11:07:02 CEST 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Brian Hook wrote:
> At 01:01 PM 9/27/01 +0200, Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Brian Hook wrote:

>>> in your interceptor.  And since you can only own a single ship,
>>> "muling" isn't an option.  So even though your _character_ may
>>> become very powerful, your character's actions are not overly
>>> powerful since they will always be mitigated by the inherent
>>> weaknesses of their current spaceship.

>> How do you prevent muling? (or is it a trade secret?)

> I probably shouldn't have used the term "muling".  Basically,
> since your character only owns a single ship, he can't keep a
> 6-ship garage of ships that are all optimized for specific tasks.
> Since building a ship is a rather lengthy process (and not
> particularly cost effective when it comes to trade in value), you
> have to make a fairly heavyweight decision every time you change
> ships.  And because ships aren't transferable (at this point in
> time), you can't bypass this by having multiple characters where
> N-1 of them are simply place holders for your primary's other
> ships.

Muling comes in many forms. If you prevent players from exchanging
goods/funds as well, i can see your system working. However, i see
no problem in someone writing a 'keep close' network sniffer that
controls N-1 utterly defenseless ships with expert
trader-mules. Then let it be controlled by the real crack-shot ace
in his fighter. When the goods are sold, by the expert mule traders,
the funds/resources is transferred to the fighterpilot.

Unless travel involves hours of tight maneuvers in astroid fields,
this sort of scenario would probably happend, given the game becomes
popular enough.

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|