[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Sep 28 10:34:10 CEST 2001

> From: Adam Martin [mailto:ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com]

> For a good essay on the psychological side effects upon players of
> using known levels, random skill increases, and semi-random skill
> increases, have a look at this Gamasutra article:

>   http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010427/hopson_01.htm

Now I see quite how nefarious the UO designers were! I had assumed
house refreshes were about limited space and urban sprawl, but no,
its a mechanism to ensure people play forever.

It's also illuminating quite with respect to player reaction to
class/ability nerfs. Whilst I always understood that people got
upset by them, the fact the same reaction can be gained with some
lettuce and a grape is most interesting.

Dan