[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Oct 25 18:59:21 CEST 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:03:35 -0700
Brian Hook <brianhook at pyrogon.com> wrote:
> On Behalf Of J C Lawrence:

>> What is the critical difference between a system which silently
>> and officiously kills all players who do X offense,

> Solely intent, as far as I can see.  A "town guard" is ostensibly
> there to enforce a certain amount of civility.  "Monsters"
> however, are supposed to be fodder.

But we're not discussing monsters.  Instead I'm referring to the
system itself (almost ala Infocom):

  You are on a small path through neatly trimmed lawns.
  There is a sign saying, "Don't walk on the grass.
  The path leads away to the north with grass on both sides.
  You step onto the grass.
  You are not allowed to walk on the grass,
  Sorry, you are dead.  Would you like to create a new character?

vs:

  You are on a small path through neatly trimmed lawns.
  There is a sign saying, "Don't walk on the grass.
  The pay leads away to the north with grass on both sides.
  You step onto the grass.
  A city guard rushes up.
  You are standing on the grass near a path.  A city guard is here.
  The city guard shouts, "Hey!  You can't walk on the grass!"
  > l at guard
  He has a large sword and looks like he'd like to kill you.
  The city guard attacks you.
  Sorry, you are dead.  Would you like to create a new character?

> Whether that's a real distinction I guess is up to you =)

Which is the question.

--
J C Lawrence