[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Thu Oct 25 17:51:46 CEST 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:34:40PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:

> What about a guard who:

>   Always wears a red string necklace, limps slightly favouring his
>   left leg and wears the boot rolled down on that leg. Regularly
>   accepts bribes from madams, but is unequivocably ferocious with
>   prostitutes and pick pockets.  Seems to have a soft spot for
>   flower stalls.  For some reason one of the stall vendors, and it
>   varies as to which, gives him a bunch of flowers every week.
>   Its not clear why they give them (they are expensive), or what
>   determines which vendor will give them.  He always graciously
>   thanks them resulting in both sides smiling and bowing.  Its
>   also not clear why he accepts them or what he does with them,
>   except that he's been occasionally known to peel off a flower
>   and give it to a madam, who for some reason is then usually very
>   flustered.

But how many exp is he worth and what are his drops? ;)

> Taking the example guard I wrote about above, and his red string
> necklace and left leg favouring, I find the fact of those
> characteristics utterly uninteresting.  What is interesting is
> that there may be a reason (and in fact there is), and that reason
> and its implications on the guards observed behaviour and purpose
> patterns __may__ be partially determinable by a player.

I agree, I find the fact of those characteristics utterly
uninteresting as well.  I even find the implications pretty boring,
once they have been worked out.

Now, the reason for those characteristics _can_ be interesting, but
not, I think if they are merely the result of a random generator.
If the designer adds them manually to enhance his zone, that's
interesting.  If the world adds them automatically based on the