[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

Sami Kosonen sami.k.kosonen at welho.com
Thu Oct 25 17:43:53 CEST 2001

From: J C Lawrence

> I don't find talking to doors, mail boxes, or cars rewarding and I
> find "talking" to NPCs in games even less so, especially when that
> NPC exposes interfaces which mock humanity via speech patterns.
> Am I the only one who played things like Galactic Civilisations
> (Stardock) and found the text spat back by the various opponents
> both distracting and unappealing?  The mumble words, posturing and
> adjectival overload were just annoying.  I kept wanting a mode
> for, "Tell me yes, no, or how much in no more words than that, and
> then shut up."

> Cruel mockeries of sapience.

Has anyone tryed to use chatbots to give more humanlike speaking
experience when dealing with NPCs? I'm not sure, but you could maybe
do different kinds of personalities by modifying what words they
use, how they response (agressive, passive, nervous etc.), how broad
their voculabulary is and so on. There are some free bots to use and
with right modifications they might be useful.

  http://www.alicebot.org/

A working version of AliceBot:

  http://aimovie.warnerbros.com/html/flash.html

-Sami Kosonen