[MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Tue Oct 23 12:41:13 CEST 2001

I would again appreciate some input for my GDC tutorial.  My thanks
to those who sent me info on their development teams.  In answer to
a question a couple of people asked: I needed statistics only, and
am not attributing specific numbers to specific companies.

I'm going to be examining NPCs next.

My first step is to identify the various roles NPCs play in current
MMORPGs.  But I'd also welcome input from any MUDs, commercial or
otherwise, just please indicate that it's not an MMO.  Without too
much thought I've identified the following basic roles:

  a. Merchant
  b. Expositor
  c. Quest Giver
  d. Quest Participant
  e. Trainer

Obviously NPCs can function in multiple roles.

We've seen NPCs as Group Members in solo games, but I don't recall
if they've been used like that in multiplayer.

What roles have I missed?

Thanks,
Lee