[MUD-Dev] Quality Testing

Jeff Cole jeff.cole at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 23 09:13:58 CEST 2001

Dave Rickey:

> I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was a factor.  If those
> problems put us "under the gun" to come out with a stable game at
> release, they also bottled up a lot of demand for the first game
> to come out that didn't have the same problems.  A lot of the
> unexpected and unprecedented growth in demand for the game in the
> last two weeks before release had to be coming from beta-tester
> reports of how stable the game was.

I would argue that the AO and WW2O releases didn't put Mythic under
the pressure to release a stable product, but so lowered the
consumer's expectations that Mythic was able to release an
incomplete game.  Success is(was) measured in stability rather than
content.  Consumers are(were) so happy to have a game that they
could actually play that they have yet to realize that it is far
from finished.

To argue that an increase in demand over the last two weeks was due
to the discriminating consumer rather than the lazy consumer is to
ignore Ockham.  While I am impressed by Mythic's accomplishments per
time, shouldn't we really be using a qualitative rather than
quantitative standard?

The real work for Mythic lies ahead: subscriber retention.

Jeff Cole