[MUD-Dev] Procedural content generation

Freeman Freeman
Mon Oct 15 09:55:27 CEST 2001

> From: Brian Hook [mailto:bwh at wksoftware.com]

> As I've mentioned in the past, I'm doing procedural content
> generation for a game I'm working on.  A friend of mine made an
> interesting observation:

>   "You don't explore procedurally generated universes, you reveal
>   them.  And that's a different experience than exploration."

> Subtle distinction between the two, but he made a very good point.

I'm not sure how I feel about that assertion, as I tend to think the
Real World [tm] was "procedurally generated", and yet it seems to be
a lot of fun to explore anyway (considering how much time Human
Beings have spent doing just that).

Makes me wonder if the difference isn't a problem with the
procedures used to generate the universe, rather than with the
concept itself.