[MUD-Dev] TCP Vegas

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Oct 15 09:28:39 CEST 2001

Adam Martin wrote:

> Quick question for people comparing TCP to UDP: Which TCP are you
> talking about? I was taught, for instance, that TCP Vegas was not
> yet in usage everywhere (despite now being 6 years old?), and
> certainly anything prior to that is generally inferior (including
> TPC Reno which AFAIAA is the main form used).

> For a quick intro to the differences, see

>   http://www.cs.arizona.edu/protocols/

> Although I can't seem to find any information on the web about
> which ones are currently used where. Probably looking in the wrong
> places.

lol, I hadn't even heard of all this, so I clicked on the link, and
it answers your question!

'Select the following icon to see a trace of the current
implementation of TCP (TCP Reno) running in x-sim.'

Thats actually a nice link for me as 'base TCP's (Reno's) back off
algorithm is very aggressive and a bit of a pain for games
(exponential back-off). I haven't read all the details, but it looks
like they have a better idea I can 'leverage' (ok, steal!).

Dan