[MUD-Dev] Request for ideas

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Oct 10 08:50:13 CEST 2001

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Christopher Allen wrote:

> I keep hearing variations of the above as the two choices, but why
> not between? The players are part of the ecosystem, however, the
> ecosystem is much larger then what is visible to the players,
> maybe on average 10x in size. Thus when you kill the UO bunny
> rabbit, there might actually be 9 more out there that you haven't
> seen that are breeding, etc. You affect the population slightly
> (there are 9 breeding instead of 10) but essentially it is
> difficult to eradicate the bunnies. Combined with as the
> population declines, they get better at hiding -- i.e. maybe the
> percentage of hidden bunnies to visible bunnies goes up as they
> population declines to 20x.  Eventually there might be so few
> bunnies that no one sees them, but they are out there, hidden and
> breeding and prepared to become visible again.

I'm not saying this is how it would have to work out in a MUD, but
consider the real world. Who would have thought the passenger pigeon
could ever have been totally wiped out? There used to be so many of
them that they'd literally darken the sky when they passed in their
flocks. You'd think there'd ALWAYS be some of them lurking somewhere
waiting to become visible again, but that's not the case.

--matt