[MUD-Dev] Many MUDs in one? (was: Geometric content generation)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Oct 10 08:30:40 CEST 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Ian Collyer wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> The lovely thing about gamers is that there are whole bunches of
>> new ones created every year. You're not targetting a static
>> population.

> Hmm, how about a MUD revenue model that caters for changing
> playstyles as the individual gamer 'matures'.

>   1) Cheap and cheerful, time intensive gaming for students to
>   provide a large user base of 'commoners' with some ability to
>   advance into the next stage.

>   2) Now your young gamer is earning a living and additional
>   revenue can be generated by selling status enhancement in the
>   form of equipment, skills, etc. as peer recognition is a
>   powerful inducement to purchase.

>   3) Having matured and grown more self-confident, the older gamer
>   has less need for adulation and intellectual challenge becomes
>   more of a driving force. Options here are complex resource
>   management issues, trade skills and political games. These users
>   may have an impact on your bottom line by increasing the
>   liquidity of the internal market as they use spending power to
>   compensate for their restricted playing time.

> You have a MUD experience which changes to meet the players' needs
> and all playstyles depend on each other, giving positive
> reinforcement and keeping everyone immersed in the game.

That's Achaea. Play forever without ever paying a dime if you
want. We don't care, and we don't discriminate in terms of customer
service. You'll eventually get hooked though and want to spend
money. If not, then we're not providing a good enough game, so we
don't deserve your money anyway. And if you really can't afford
anything, well, you're providing content for the other players
anyway. When you get old and have bought everything you need (though
that's not really ever possible) you've got a number of possible
elder games to indulge in that don't cost extra money.

--matt