[MUD-Dev] Virtual environments for education?

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue Nov 6 13:46:27 CET 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> What I'm looking for (and hope that the MUD-Dev community can help
> with) is:

>   - Examples of systems that do some or all of these things

>   - Suggestions or experiences with using an online environment
>   for shared learning.

>   - Any other ideas or thoughts that we may have overlooked.

> Any and all feedback is welcome.  Thanks!

I can think of one example of something similar; BioMoo

  http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO/

It has currently not been used for years, and is shutting down.

This was created mainly as a meetingplace for biology researchers
for discussions, brainstorming etc. You will find recordings of some
of the meetings there to see how they went. That would give you an
idea of how it was used.

I'm not sure how much creation of new contents within the virtual
environment played a role in the usage, i think its mainly used as a
series of chat rooms.

My feeling is that a virtual world as a teaching interface may throw
up very hard learning barriers between student and teacher. The only
exception i can imagine is when it is used to teach language, where
the textual interface is very close to the subject matter. At the
very least, the virtual world needs to have specialized tools ready
for the subject matter.

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|