[MUD-Dev] [ECOSYSTEMS] Fishing in the real world

Mark Eaton marke at mac.com
Tue Nov 6 11:16:15 CET 2001

On Monday, November 5, 2001, at 07:48 AM, Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> Of course, this is mutually exclusive to having intelligent mobs,
>> as what intelligent tribe of orcs is going to abandonen their
>> invulnerable zone.

>> Anyway as someone else pointed out, what the difference between
>> actually modelling an area but not letting players in, and just
>> spawning stuff at a point where conceptually you want the zone to
>> exist. As far as I can see none.

> Well, the difference is that the simple respawn approach does not
> let the players affect the respawn frequency. The trick is to
> model the respawn frequency correctly (or, rather convincingly)
> based on the preassure (read kills) the players (or other
> simulated races) make on the race.

More like correctly modeling the respawn frequency as a function of
the mating opportunities of the creatures, which in turn is
inversely related to the predatory pressures of the players. More
kills = fewer opportunities for the prey to produce replacement
population. Its a subtle distinction but important in my
opinion. Simply hitching respawn rate to kill rate rewards
overkilling.

Modeling it like that would also require natural death mechanisms
like age and starvation (lack of resources). I think you'd end up
with a more natural system, though.