[MUD-Dev] business models

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon May 21 16:16:00 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly writes:
> On Mon, 21 May 2001, Jon Morrow wrote:

>> Which game(s) does the 15% figure come from?  Or is it a commonly
>> accepted figure?  I only ask because I'm in the process of
>> projecting the number of users online at a time for my current
>> project, and the number needs to be as accurate as possible.  If
>> there are any other more accurate ways of estimating, I'd love to
>> hear about them.

> I think Raph mentioned it here. I might just be imagining things, as
> you're the second person to have no familiarity with that figure at
> all.

>> Also, to challenge 15%, doesn't GemStone III have a total player
>> base of about 60,000 on their regular server?  I heard that number
>> about a year ago, but I don't remember who it was from, so it might
>> not be reputable.  They generally have 800-1200 players on at a
>> time these days.

> 800-1200 online and they have 60,000 subscribers? I have a difficult
> time believing that. If anyone can confirm that, my hat goes off to
> Simutronics, cause that is really excellent. Practically printing
> money since apparently most of their subscribers never even log on,
> or log on for exceptionally short periods of time.

A quick guess might be the age of the game.  Players may have built up
characters that they don't want to have vanish, so they maintain their
account without actually playing it very often.  Anyone else care to
comment on the 'older' games?  Certainly I would expect newer games to
have a more active playerbase.

JB