[MUD-Dev] business models

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon May 21 16:05:12 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

> I don't want to give our usage figures, because that will allow
> someone to deduct our revenue, but using the 15% rule off our
> average # of players online, I come to the conclusion that our
> business model currently makes us a bit over $30/customer, NOT
> counting the fact that these calculations are based on characters
> not people, and that if we based it on people, the number would be
> higher (as our big spenders tend to spend big on multiple
> characters).

> That's not chest-pounding (though I'm proud of it of course). It's
> just meant to be informational.

I'm not sure where you got the 15% from, my experience has been that
routine weekend peaks, barring unusual circumstances (most 3-day
weekends, initial launch, special events all push it higher, major
travel holidays like Thanksgiving or Memorial Day push it lower) run
about 20% of total subscribers.  Not sure what that does to your
figures, but it should push them up significantly ($40/month?).

Of course, since you may not restrict multiple logins, your max number
of logins may not have any meaningful relationship to your subscriber
base.  For that matter, there's never been any real attempt to find
out just how many multipe account holders there are in EQ.

--Dave Rickey