[MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 16 11:44:33 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Munt" <greg.munt at btinternet.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

> I would have thought that the people dealing with it should only
> really be the relevant authorities. I would also have thought that
> there's not much they can do until an actual crime is committed.

Can't speak for the US, but in the UK thats Battery...

> These threats may consitute a crime, they may not.

...and even a single threat counts as Assault (assuming you gave the
person to believe that yes, you really were going to do it [common
exclusion is where you say something like "If I ever met you on the
street, I'd kill you" - if the condition is highly unlikely, then no
crime really took place]).

Part of tort - so it's lumped with libel, slander, trespassing,
copyright, etc within UK law.

A UK judge recently put someone away for sending threatening SMS
messages via mobile phone, so I suspect they'd be equally willing to
do so for email protagonists, given proof-of-originator.

Adam M