[MUD-Dev] [Tech] MUDs, MORPGs, and Object Persistence [OT?]

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 16 11:37:04 CEST 2001

I've just been forwarded an invite to a lecture by someone claiming
the "decline and eventual demise of the Relational Model of Data"
because of, among other things, its lack of suitability for internet
applications, where it scales poorly and forces you to put in a lot of
effort each and every time you write a new DB.

It appears the lecturer is instead suggesting the "Associative Model
of Data" - has anyone in the current RDB vs ODB debate come across
this? I've cut details of time/booking etc - although I believe its
free, its in the UK which I'm sure means 99% of people wouldn't be
able to go even if interested.

Adam M

[invitation text starts:]

The decline and eventual demise of the Relational Model of Data

A presentation and discussion for journalists, analysts, influencers
and special interest groups

Presenter: Simon Williams
Inventor of the Associative Model of Data and Chief Executive of Lazy
Software Limited

  * The Relational Model of Data, now over thirty years old, is the
    foundation of almost every commercial database today.

  * The challenge of the Object Model of Data has faded and the
    economic case for adopting the hybrid Object/ Relational
    technology is unproven.

  * So is the Relational Model the last word in database architecture?

  * Simon Williams will present the case that the Relational Database
    is fundamentally unsuited to the internet age and has begun an
    inevitable decline.

  * Every new relational database application needs a new set of
    programs written from scratch.  This is expensive and
    labour-intensive and unmaintainable in the growing skills
    shortage.

  * Simon invented the Associative Model of Data, which is claimed to
    be the first major advance beyond the Relational Model.

This promises to be a debate of great interest for those of you
following the fortunes of the database market.  Simon is a highly
knowledgeable and entertaining presenter.  Copies of his recently
published book, the Associative Model of Data, will also be available
on the day.