[MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

Scott Stuart srstuart at bigfoot.com
Wed May 16 00:05:11 CEST 2001

Greg Munt wrote:

> Maybe I'm not up with the street-cred terminology enough. What's a
> "hard-core" mud? Note: lower case :-)

<snip>

> A mud is about community. About groups of people coming
> together. Real people. When a character is harassed, the player
> feels their pain.  Effectively, the character is simply a conduit to
> the player's emotions. I'd say that the blame is sourced at the
> bonds that players fundamentally grow between themselves and their
> characters. (This has been discussed in another thread.) I'd think
> that immersion has a role to play in this as well.

Hard-core: PK, real death, limited multi-play, player-enforced
roleplay, etc.

The only reason I mentioned 'hard-core' was because I feel that
players of a mud of this type attracts hard-core players who tend to
get more immersed, more attached to their characters, etc., and
perhaps are more likely to take things too far.

SRS