[MUD-Dev] User interface design [was: Where are we now?]

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 11 09:32:47 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chambers" <CHAMBERB at MARIST.COM>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] User interface design [was: Where are we now?]

"Adam Martin" <amsm2 at cam.ac.uk> 05/10/01 06:55AM:

>> There seem to be little or no resources for free mud developers who
>> don't want to develop a telnet-based user interface.

> Why not instead of working on a new interface, develop a scripting
> language for an interface.  Use a language like HTML to specify the
> transfer method for graphics and the such, then allow the MUD to
> send what kind of frames it wants... etc...  This way it is still
> easy to f marking up the text in such a way as to write a GUI from
> it.

[Erm - there seems to be something wrong with your email client or
mine - the text you quoted was NOT written by me, and my client fails
to quote your text (no problems with other people's)?]

Yes, but....an increasingly graphical mud requires different
server-side views of the player-perceived data, and therefore by
extension also needs the information sent to the player to be a
different format (by which I mean e.g. a telnet client generally likes
to see "you are standing in a room which looks like a bedroom" whereas
the graphical client needs "position=(56,32), objects={
bed(12,24,46,34,24,24,53,64), door(234.35.33.53)}" etc).

At least, that's what I found when I tried it :).

[Wonders how ?Atlas? from WorldForge approaches this?]

Adam M