[MUD-Dev] Re: licenses for RPGs (fwd)

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 13:37:19 CET 2001

On a related note, I'm producing a server-engine for mmorpgs. This is
a commercial project, the projected revenue model being to license the
server to people producing commercial mmorpgs, with the license
including full source code.

I'd like to also license it to non-commercial and small-scale
commercial projects for free, and was wondering if anyone has had any
experience (or suggestions) relating to this?

Ideally, I'd like to provide the full package (source code etc) to
everyone, but to be charging the medium-large scale projects.

My initial reaction to this post would probably be to question why the
world needs yet another server, and I'd be happy to explain what it
does that is new and original, but I'm worried about it seeming too
self-promotional [fondly remembers the days when newsgroups were 95%
discussion, not 50%+ advertising]

Adam M