[MUD-Dev] Re: licenses for RPGs (fwd)

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Tue Mar 20 10:50:04 CET 2001

J C Lawrence wrote:
> [...]

Actually I went through this whole RPG licensing thing a few years ago
because for all the mud worlds that people have developed I wasn't
able to find one published instance of an RPG engine that could be
readily used in a mud.  So naturally I talked to TSR (AD&D) and Steve
Jackson (GURPS) and got no where although I knew that AD&D was a
fairly heavy basis for Diku-type muds.  Steve was fairly nice about
it, but his interest was more in developing his MOO server than to
have a published RPG set that was "open". I did find a couple of small
publishers that were willing to give me a license, but I really didn't
know how to translate their stuff into a workable mud system.

After WoC announced that they were going open with D20, I tried to
contact Steve, but got one of his editors instead.  Steve Jackson
Games was aware of what WoC was trying to do, but SJG had no interest
in doing so and couldn't see any point to it.

I think this still leaves one big question unresolved -- what game
engine/mechanics can muds use that is a) open and b) usable for muds?
Since I don't play on UO, I can't really comment about their
mechanics, but it seems that Everquest has a decent basis so maybe
something is that modeled along the lines of EQ.  Or is it practical
to take something like D20 and then develop a mud version of that?

frank