Adverts in games (was RE: [MUD-Dev] Habbo Hotel...)

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Tue Mar 20 09:17:14 CET 2001

Dwayne Hall wrote:

> Consider the James Bond movies as the best example of this.  I
> remember reading that Coca-Cola paid a hefty sum to have a Sprite
> billboard prominently placed in one scene.  Both BMW and Volvo
> successfully introduced a new line of automobiles by having them
> appear prominently in the movies before they were even on the
> showroom floors.  Obvioulsy this doesn't work in many instances but
> I don't think I would even blink at a Century 21 sign outside a
> for-sale house in something like The Sims.

Exactly.  Neither would I.  In fact it would make perfect sense for
the Century 21 sign to be there.  And if you had in-game real estate
agents, it would make perfect sense for them to be Century 21 agents.
I'd be perfectly happy to add advertising into a game into places
where it "makes sense".  However, as long as people are paying to
play, I don't think we can get away with much more than that.

I also agree with those who say that advertising won't be able to
generate enough income to be able to stop charging the players, at
least not without attracting a LOT more players, and moving to a TV
style of advertising where the game is interrupted.

After all, we all still pay $6 or whatever it is you pay to see a
movie where you live, despite the fact that many movies incorporate
advertising.