[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Fri Mar 9 09:55:59 CET 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Travis Casey wrote:

> Wednesday, March 07, 2001, 6:04:46 AM, the_logos at www.achaea.com
> <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

>> Quite right. Permadeath should have no real effect on a 'pure'
>> roleplayer, as pure roleplaying is about the process of playing the
>> role and the enjoyment gained from simply acting, not about some
>> goal like keeping your character alive.

> Even without a goal of keeping your character alive, it is possible
> to feel sorrow for the loss of something that has given you joy.  I
> do not have a "goal" in my relationship with my father, but when he
> dies, I will be sad that he's no longer around to talk to, do things
> with, play with my daughter, etc.

That's not the same thing at all. Your father dying is equivalent to a
player leaving the MUD and ending all communication with you forever
in terms we're speaking of. From an absolutely pure roleplaying
perspective, I still maintain that the character shouldn't matter, as
it doesn't matter who you're playing, as long as you're doing it
exquisitely well.

--matt