[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits

Peter Tyson peter_tyson at softhome.net
Sun Jun 10 21:15:29 CEST 2001

According to Matt Mihaly:

> Do you know how much you'll get fined if you were to operate
> continuously at 5% fraud rate? Visa/Mastercard will kick you out
> for that kind of fraud rate, and your merchant bank is almost
> certain to start fining you. I would be quite curious, though, to
> know how online gambling companies manage that. As you say, they
> would seem quite easy to defraud.

Very good question. I believe they make sure their fraud rate is
under 5% through means I mentioned. If you want to learn about good
billing systems, check the porn and gambling industries!

Also, they are perhaps allowed certain freedoms due to the volume of
transactions they take. These guys can make -serious- money.

Also, the risk may be on the operators, not the transactional
groups.

So if I put down $100 and it turns out to be fake, and I loose it,
the only problem is that the operator has lost out. The billing
people still get their cut, just the operator comes up short. It's
not like the operator can claim that money from Visa or whoever.

Honestly not too sure. But if you're interested I can find
out. Email me and I will ask some folks in the industry I know.

Peter Tyson