[MUD-Dev] Re: Neverwinter Nights

Trent Oster Trent at Bioware.com
Wed Jun 6 10:23:17 CEST 2001

We had a number of discussions early on about the first person and
third person viewpoints.  We arrived at the following arguments
regarding third person isometric views.

Pros:

  Top down camera allows greater polygon counts and detail in each
  object (limited view volume at all times)

  Greater tactical perception of the combat, facilitates more
  strategic play More party oriented view, you lose the other party
  members a lot less than a first person view.

  The player is "playing" a character, the player is not the
  character, as such the player will want to see the character
  whenever possible, as such a "god" type view supports this "feel"
  of play better.

--
Trent T. Oster
Producer - NWN