[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Wed Jun 6 10:20:22 CEST 2001

According to Travis Casey:

> For that matter, if no one was willing to play a game where they
> could permanently lose an investment, Las Vegas would be a ghost
> town.

Aside from the occasional compulsive gambler (who gambles until he
cannot gamble anymore), most of the people who gamble at Las Vegas
do so with the expectation, if their gamble pays off, to win. Big
(and they rarely gamble more than they can afford to lose).

That's quite different from most permadeath implementation
suggestions I've seen, where you gamble to lose.

Richard Bartle's old contributions to this debate (last permadeath
round in this list) were closer to the Las Vegas example: make
"gambling away" (risking permadeath) an option (people may opt out),
but make it so that they can win. They tackle the dragon, and win
"something" at the risk of their life, and something you wouldn't be
able to win without the risk.

But putting a permadeath "sword" hanging over your head permanently
without having the carrot to reward... No way.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!