[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

shren shren at io.com
Tue Jun 5 19:44:44 CEST 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Andrew Reisse wrote:

> A mud I played once a long time ago (it went offline, and I don't
> remember its name), had "temporary permadeath", where when you
> died, you didn't lose anything, no exp or items, you just had to
> wait half an hour, unless you got resurrected by another PC. Also
> you had to walk to a shrine as a ghost, and search for one if you
> didn't know where one was. I actually liked exploring as a ghost,
> because you could look around the dangerous areas and "consider"
> all the mobs there, while waiting, and without getting attacked.

  *snip*

>   People might not get frustrated in having to advance from level
>   36 to 37 again, definitely not the same as in exp loss
>   systems. With many games, recovering from a death can take many
>   hours, all of which are unpleasant and tedious for the player.

I remember the UO2 team mentioning at some point that the way they
would handle a death was to deduct some XP, however, that XP comes
back when logged off over time.  So if you die, you can either log
off, and your xp will be back tomorrow, or keep going and regain it
yourself.  It was one of the many nods they said that they were
going to make towards casual players.

--
"I've acquired quite a taste, for a well-made mistake."
  - Fiona Apple, _A_Mistake_
  - shren at io.com