[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Trump trump at vividvideo.com
Tue Jun 5 10:58:48 CEST 2001

While it's nice to see that at least one person got the point of the
original post, it's frightening that many were too distracted by the
specifics I chose for implementation to get the big picture.  To
summarize:

  If you want to promote roleplay in your so called RPG you need to
  reward it where possible, lead by example and avoid anything that
  might jolt someone out of thier suspension of disbelief.  Existing
  games commonly place fiction breakers even in the basic gameplay
  (showing damage numbers).  While this doesnt necessarily make your
  game bad it does make a much less immersive game.  If players see in
  character discussion in everything that relates to your game.  Even
  your website, fansites, comments from the devs, etc they are much
  more likely to join in and be in character themselves.  While you
  can never have 100% and there are times when you need to be OOC (CS
  for a newbie) getting 80% participation is much better than getting
  20%.  If you want your MUD to just be a hack and slash adventure
  game, that's fine, this discussion has nothing to do with those
  types of games.

So, instead of saying what *I* would do.  Let me ask what *you* would
do to make your RPG more of an RPG and not just an Adventure game?